Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Diaper Cake








I started by watching this video tutorial on YouTube. It gave me all the basic information and then you personalize it however you wish. Since we were doing a surprise gender shower with a bug theme, that was where I drew my inspiration. I will say some things I truly lucked out on, like the painted bugs I found at Michaels, but I went to countless stores looking for more bug things I could use and struck out more often than not. I used a package of flannel blankets, a package of white onesies to substitute for some of the diapers and then decorated with baby mittens and socks that I used safety pins to attach. I wanted some of the bugs to look like they were flying and was thinking of using skewers, but didn't have any handy so I used clear cutlery. That probaby ended up being a better choice. After much searching I settled on the Eric Carle butterfly for the top and was not happy about it until I put it on top and it really did seem to fit. After it was finally completed, I disassembled it and put it in a couple carry on bags for my flight down. The bottom layer did fall completely apart and the rubber band broke, but it really didn't take much time to put it back together.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

great job! I think it's beautiful.. and love the Eric Carle butterfly!

Jill said...

Adorable! Great job!

Sandy said...

So cute and colorful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...