Friday, September 17, 2010

Gymnastics

Last week Morgan had her first gymnastics meet of the season. It was at a gym 1.5 hours away so we were gone from 1:30 till 10:00. And the three hours I wasn't driving, I was sitting on a metal bleacher in an area smaller and more uncomfortable than an airline seat, unable to use a bathroom, and attempting to take pictures with a camera that wouldn't cooperate. And thus begins to explain my love/hate relationship with gymnastics.

Morgan started gymnastics as a toddler doing mommy and me classes and has never not been in gymnastics. She's tried other sports/activites, but they never seemed like a fit for her personality. When she was five she was moved to the developmental team. She has progressed and was training this summer level 6, but is competing level 5. Typical of Morgan's personality, she quick to learn new skills, but slow to perfect them. She loves the challenge of something new, but hates the monotony of the little details. Also typical of Morgan, she doesn't take it too seriously. Getting first place is not important to her, chatting with other girls about tv shows and music is. I like seeing her successes, but I know Morgan is not motivated by a medal. This can be a bit frustrating for her coaches, but to me I realize the Olympics are not in our future, so it's not worth getting worked up over.

So here we are approaching a fork in the road. When she finishes this season, I think she's decided to quit. The next level would be seventeen hours a week. She did the training this summer and she was pretty miserable-felt like she missed out on having a fun summer. Unfortunately when you progress as a gymnast so must your commitment level. I have mixed feeling about it. On the one hand, yippee, 8 less trips in the car each week. And don't even get me started about the money. Morgan's had a few injuries, but they've been minor so I'm glad she's leaving the sport healthy.

But as much as I complain, I do love watching her compete. I see this little girl who shows not a trace of nerves salute before the judges and do amazing things with her body that most people cannot attempt. I see a little girl who doesn't care about the type of medal she receives get a big smile on her face after her events. I see a little girl who has a disastrous warm up, shake it off and nail a routine. I see confidence, hard work, and a bond with her teammates. I will miss it and I will be the gym mom until the last meet this season.

I'm not sure Morgan can just sit at home, so who knows what she will choose next. Acrobatic horseback riding has come up, but that's been shot down. Maybe some golf lessons so she can play with the boys or maybe some dance classes.

In the meantime, I'm capturing this poised and confident little girl and proud that she is my little gymnast. (By the way, she had a great meet, placing 9th overall out of 70+ gymnasts)'



2 comments:

Diane Zwang said...

I think Morgan has a very healthy relationship with gymnastics. I think dance team is on the horizon:)

Jennifer said...

Congrats to her for placing so well and also for being mature enough to recognize that she would rather have a childhood than commit that much time in a gym. She can still be very proud of her accomplishments, get into dance, cheerleading ( they always need tumblers) and once she is of employment age, she can even work in a gym with the little ones if she misses gymnastics. Good luck to you Morgan, whatever you decide! And Julie, I just don't know how you do it... with all the activities. I have both in soccer and have already run into a conflict that I can't resolve. They both have their team pictures on a day when the other has practice. And that means they will either have to miss pictures or practice, because I can't be in two places at once. And that is just one activity and two kids.. I don't know HOW you juggle all yours gracefully!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...