Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Slippery Slope

I started scrapbooking about 14 years ago this month. I happened upon a friend's Creative Memories album, signed up for my first class and never looked back. I had a new baby, so pictures aplenty and loads and loads of stickers and brightly colored markers. And when I look back through Garrett's first album, I cringe. I know I should be looking at the cute baby pictures, but I notice the ugly papers, the odd shape the photos were cut in and loads of other scrap disasters.

I've read several well known scrappers' opinion on this matter and all say that your scrapping style will evolve and it's best to leave those pages as they are to represent where your skills were at that particular time.

But. I. can't.

I have made a deal with myself. When I finally get a handle on my current projects, I'm going to go back and redo his first album.

Morgan's album is another story. While it won't be winning any blue ribbons at the scrapbooking fair, it's good. It's nice. It isn't painful to look through. I can leave it be.

But I bought this scrapbooking paper and I kept thinking about how perfect it would have been for this one layout in Morgan's book. I pushed that thought aside as I looked at the stacks of pictures in my to-do pile. But oh how it nagged at me. Like a dieter just walking by the bakery shop, I decided just to look at that layout, put my urge to rest by looking at a satisfactory layout. And so I looked.

There before my eyes were those god-awful Mrs. Grossman stickers.

Have I mentioned that I have no willpower when dieting? None.

Used a Page Maps sketch for this one.


5 comments:

Penny Lane said...

I know you don't know me from anyone, but I want to throw my opinion in here.

I don't think there is anything wrong with redoing pages. I've done it many times. To me it's a relaxing and loving hobby and I want to look at pages I feel good about. If you feel moved to redo a particular page then go for it! I wouldn't even necessarily wait until you were "caught up"! I do things out of order all the time. I do whatever I am moved to do, it usually yields the best page.

Anyway, do what you feel is the best to do. These are your kids memories, they should be represented the way you want them to be.

Sandy said...

Now I really want to see the before pic next time. My wedding album is my "Eee-gads" album! This new LO is completely fantastic, though!

Anonymous said...

You dont know me either but you would probably get a laugh from my blog www.scrapwrecks.blogspot.com
It's all about those "washed up layouts" we all have and also a challenge blog. As I say on my blog, Scrapbooking is a journey - we all start somewhere and develop it as we go. I cringe at most of my early stuff too! I'm about to do a renovation challenge this month- you are welcome to have a look and enter! Love your new LO!

travel mom said...

do you teaching class?
can i be in that class?
i want ot know when and where
ans you are a most amazing scrapbooker - you are my scrapbook role model

Christy said...

Absolutely stunning!! I love the touches of yellow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...