Monday, October 18, 2010

Homecoming in the 21st Century

Well I know I'm dating myself, but Homecoming when I went to school was more the football game, the crowning of a king and queen, and a dance in the gym afterward. I don't recall it being a huge deal.

Fast foreward to the 21st century. My how things have changed.
First, you don't just ask a girl. You come up with some elaborate proposal. Treasure hunts, CD mixes, silly Bandz, etc...
A week before Homecoming they have nominations for King and Queen for Freshmen, Sophmore, Juniors and Seniors.
Garrett was nominated to his surprise.

In the meantime, after much pestering Garrett said he wanted to go, but most of his friends would be going as a group. Sounded like a good plan.

Well I'm not sure how this plan morphed, but somehow a boy group and a girl group merged and this became a much bigger event than I expected .



Black is the attire for boys. You'd be hard pressed to find a boy who wasn't wearing a black shirt.


This was the get together before the dance hosted by one of the families of a girl. Dinner was catered from a really nice restaurant that Chris and I go to on special occasions. They also hired a professional photographer (can I just roll my eyes here?).


And this is Garrett's date. Garrett did not partake in any of the elaborate proposal and apparently included the phrase "as friends" when he asked her (such a charmer we're raising, eh?)

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

WOW! Yeah.. it was a big deal in the south... but not THAT big of a deal. The only people that dressed like that for Homecoming were the Homecoming court. The rest of us were much more casual since we went to the game first. That seems more like prom- only prom-lite.

Diane Zwang said...

Welcome to the dating years.

Sandy said...

Definitely not a big deal where I grew up! Our dances were in the foyer of the school! So I wonder how crazy it gets for the prom?

travel mom said...

wow your boy is growing up, next will be a jack...lol
i do not know what they will do when jack will be that age...
people are crazy!!

Nancy Damiano said...

Oh no, not the dreaded "friend" word. She's standing awfully close to him for a friend.lol ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...